By Sonny Simak
I have met many people who profess to be Christians. Below are a few reasons they may think this.
- Because they were born to ‘Christian’ parents.
- They were christened in Church as a child.
- They have been confirmed in Church at one stage of their lives.
- They once prayed a prayer to ask Jesus to come into their hearts.
- They have taken part in doing many good deeds.
- During Census many people tick the box to say they are a Christian just to ‘pick a religion’.
If you sadly fall into any one of these categories then biblically speaking you are not a Christian. Now, please don’t misjudge me as I am simply stating the truth. I pray and hope that God may change your heart and make you a true follower of Jesus.
The purpose of writing this article is to explain to you some of the true characteristics of what it means to be called a Christian.
- A Christian is someone who has come to understand that he has sinned against a Holy God and he fully understands that he deserves the punishment of his wrongdoings (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23).
- A Christian is someone who has repented of his sin and has believed the Gospel. As a result of this he has received salvation through faith in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:8, John 1:12-13, John 3:16).
- A Christian is “born again” through the power of the Holy Spirit (John 3:3) which means he is no longer walking dead in sin but has been made alive by the grace of God (Ephesians 2:4, Ephesians 5:8).
- A Christian means a disciple of Christ. He not only believes the word of God but his character is being conformed into Christ’s likeness (Romans 8:29).
- A Christian loves Jesus Christ. This simply means he has a personal relationship with Him. (John 10:27)
- A Christian trusts Jesus Christ. He understands the cost of being a disciple of the Lord. (Luke 14:27)
- A Christian obeys God’s word and in order to obey His word he/she must devote himself to love it, learn it and live it. (John 14:23)
- A Christian is someone who hates sin. If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in the darkness (pornography, lies, lust, theft, adultery, fornication, sensuality, drunkenness, drugs, jealousy, gossip, impurity, foul language, greed and all other things that offend God) we lie, and do not practise the truth (1 John 1:6)
- A Christian loves his fellow believers. One of the best ways to exercise that love is to join a body of believers and be part of a local church. Jesus said by this they will know that you love one another. (John 13:35)
- A Christian desires others to be saved. He is concerned about this lost world. Jesus said,” let your light shine before others so that they may see your good works and glorify God who is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:16)
Upon reading this post, if you come to realise that you may not be a Christian then I have good news for you. You can become a Christian by simply coming to Jesus.
“If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him up from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)